Pages

Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Productively Bored



Arizona is hot right now. The summer is upon us, which means most outdoor adventures are put on hold for a few months. While most Americans are embracing summer's warmth, us Arizonians are shielding ourselves from it. It's okay though... we have some perks to help us cope the scorching season. Night swimming, tropical monsoons, and good ol' productive boredom.

Productive boredom may not sound exciting, but it has paved the way into some of my favorite ventures. I learned the ins and outs of photography one summer due to being confined to the indoors with just a camera and a really adorable kid to follow around. I spent a summer once visiting my grandparents almost daily to just 'hang out'... and little did I know, I would lose them both soon after that. Summer in Arizona may not be a sandy-toed, ocean breeze dream, BUT it has blessed me every year with something wonderful.

This summer I'm expecting a baby! The heat is especially not fun when pregnant, so staying cool is on the top of my list. With the great indoors as my only destination, and a maternal itch to start nesting, I have begun an intense (and slightly OCD) journey into re-organizing my ENTIRE house. I have cleared out so much stuff so far that Goodwill pretty much knows me by name.

It feels good to purge 'stuff' we don't use, as well as to organize the things we do. I feel like it's not only a great way to welcome the baby into his new home, but it gives a sense of catharsis to each family member here. Thank you summer for keeping me productively bored... and thank you second trimester for the energy boost.

No comments:

Post a Comment